Maxey Law Offices, PLLC
100 Second Avenue South
Suite 401 North
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone (727) 230-4949 Ext. 1001
Fax (727) 230-4827
Brittany J. Maxey founded Maxey Law Offices, PLLC in 2008. She is a patent attorney, registered to practice before the United States Patent & Trademark Office, a field in which less than one percent of all attorneys are designated and of that group less than one-fifth are female. Brittany brings to the job a diverse legal background with experience in the mechanical arts, pharmaceutical and biological industries. In addition to providing legal counsel, she manages all aspects of clients’ intellectual property needs including procurement of patents, trademarks and copyrights, trade secrets and technology licensing.
A native of Oklahoma, Brittany attended the University of Mississippi on athletic scholarship where she received her bachelor’s degree in Biological Science and continued to participate in sports at a collegiate level, pitching for the university’s softball team during its inaugural season.
After completing her undergraduate degree, Brittany completed an ABA-certified
paralegal certification program and was given the opportunity to work in the
intellectual property department of a prominent law firm. She earned her Juris
Doctor from Stetson University College of Law, where she served as diversity
chairperson, a school ambassador and a member of student government.
A frequent guest speaker, presenter and lecturer, Brittany also appears on the radio program, “Ask an Attorney” during
which she responds to call-in legal questions about various intellectual
property topics. Whether it’s before a group, on-air or with a client sitting
in her office, she enjoys the process of breaking down the complexities of
intellectual property law into real-world terms to help clients understand the
value and critical nature of protecting their business’s brand or products.
Brittany has received the Leaders in the Law Award by the Florida
Association of Women Lawyers and was nominated in 2010 for the Tampa Bay
Business Journal’s Rising Star Award and in 2011 for the Business Woman of the
Year. She also was named a finalist for the St. Petersburg Chamber of
Commerce’s Leaders of Tomorrow Today Award.
Past Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- "Ask an Attorney" Radio Show, Regularly Scheduled Guest
- Minds for Design Guest Speaker, "Intellectual Property"
- National Tooling and Machine Association Lecturer, "A Brief Primer on Patents as an Employer and Manufacture"
- Paralegal Association of Florida, Inc.'s Statewide Seminar Speaker. "Ownership & Use of Creative Works"
- SCORE Counselors to America;s Small Business Lecturer, "Intellectual Property Anyone?"
- Stetson University College of Law Guest Panelist, "Professionalism in Intellectual Property & Entertainment Law"
- Stetson University College of Law Guest Panelist, "The Practice of Patent Law"
- Tampa Bay's Technology Entrepreneurship Community Lecturer, "Demystification of the Patent Process"
- The Florida Bar's Media Law Conference Panelist, "Blogging, Anonymous Posts and Defamation"
- The Great American Teach-In Guest Speaker
- Work Women of Tampa Bay Presenter, "Protecting Your Brand"
|Professional Associations & Memberships
President, Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL)
Past President, Pinellas County Chapter of FAWL
Board of Trustees, CASA St. Petersburg
Secretary, Tampa Bay Rebel Ole Miss Alumni Chapter
Executive Board, Barney Masterson Inn of Court
Executive Committee, Woman Accountants, Bankers, Lawyers & Engineers
Nominating Committee, St. Petersburg Bar Association
Steering Committee, Friends of St. Jude
Gazelle Lab at USFSP College of Business, Mentor
Bay Area Young Professionals Organization, Member
Working Women of Tampa Bay, Member
Emerge Tampa Bay, Member
Mattie Belle Davis Society, Member
Clearwater Bar Association, Member
St. Petersburg Bar Association, Member
Mid-County Bar Association, Member
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Florida
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional Network Sites